Thursday 13 December 2012

2010 Art

2010 was one heck of a year for me. I left school that summer and started my course at college on September. I also created more submissions for my deviantART on that year.

The first original character I created this year was the Ninjin Ninja, modelled after the very similar Carrot Man (created by me in my early days). Here, he is guarding Sakura cheese from the clutches of ninja mice. Ninjin (ニンジン) means "carrot" in Japanese.


Here's what Carrot Man looked like. See the resemblance? He was the first superhero I ever created, as well as my first unreleased character. When I came up with the idea, I thought it would be cool to give him a spiky hairdo, reminiscent of punks and Sonic the Hedgehog. Dragon Ball Z also featured cool spiky hair, so that's another influence.


Another original character I created was Gumley, a guy with plenty of missing teeth (hence the name) who takes up different jobs and roles. Think of him as the equivalent of Mona from WarioWare. He's ugly cute, a real gentleman and I need to give him more attention...

 
Every Easter, Tamago ("egg" in Japanese) have starred in at least one deviation. The only non-Easter deviation they've appeared in so far is For the Birds (see 2009 Art).


On Valentine's Day, I created 2 new deviations for the occassion. One of them is a direct sequel to the Valentine's deviation from the previous year.

Eww.. gross. WarioWare inspired me to make this.

This one was made after watching gameplay videos of the Japan-only GBA game "Rhythm Tengoku" on YouTube. There's a similar game on Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise on the Wii, but in that game, you slice black ghosts instead of little hopping creatures with tengu masks.
 
 
Meet my third original character from 2010, Leah. She's a shy teenager who idolizes Japan. Back in the day, I didn't draw humans much. Notice her feet are on the wrong legs and her right hand is smaller than her left? This was made before my human-drawing skills improved. 2 years later, Leah got her own comic strip. I got a warm, fuzzy feeling creating it and reading it afterwards.

This is my first stab at fanart and my most popular deviation. It is basically my Pikmin ideas for the upcoming Wii-U game Pikmin 3 and was released long before Nintendo finally announced said game. To find out what abilities these new colors have, read the image's description on deviantART.

Here's some more fanart. It's the most famous Ghost-type Pokémon, Gastly!
 

Here are a couple of fictional beers I came up with. Builder's Butt was the first brand I ever came up with and it cracked me up when I asked my self, "What if there was a beer called Builder's Butt?" In real life, I had my first beer on November 1, 2009, one month after my 18th birthday.
 
I made this for E-safety at college. Soon thereafter, it appeared on a poster for E-Safety Thursdays that was put up all over the college. If you look closely, you'll see my real last name.
 
More Pokémon fanart. It's Wobbuffet, the funny, but painfully slow Psychic-type with nothing but counterattacks in its movepool.
 
 
 
Finally, here's 2010's Christmas deviation. It's what the RSPCA and other animal activism charities always tell you at Christmas time.
 
Well, that's everything for now. Stay tuned for art I made in 2011!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment